Saturday, September 13, 2014

Went fishing Thursday

So Thursday my wonderful wife and mother decided it would be nice to get me out of the house and go fishing. I am cooped up in this house a lot because of my mental state and my injury. We decided to go to a place near by called Fisherman's Retreat. It's in Redlands on San Timeteo Canyon road and during its heyday was an incredible place to fish. The price is 15 dollars each to fish and you could fish a full 12 hours day or night.

Well we got there at around 10am and went into the shop to pay for me to fish, we asked when was the last time they stocked and the lady who is pretty nice said they stocked the Friday before Labor Day weekend and that there were still 5 tagged catfish still in the upper lake that hadn't been caught. Needless to say I was feeling kind of hopeful. We parked under some trees and I set up my fishing pole with one of my many catfish baits that I brought with me (I come prepared lol). It was a warm day not overly hot but it was warm and proceeded to fish till almost 5pm. During that time I didn't get any bites and kept getting hung up on really thick water growth. All in all it was disappointing, this place could become a jewel of the inland empire for fishing if they took a little time and effort and made some small changes. Most everyone there is friendly and it is nice that you can spend 12 hours fishing. I personally think they need to stock more often. When I asked when they're next stocking was going to be, the lady said honestly she doesn't know, probably November sometime. Well that's kind of vague. Now I don't expect to constantly catch fish whenever I go fishing, the fun of fishing is the waiting and anticipation of seeing your rod move and catching the fish. Eight hours and not even a nibble is a little upsetting especially when you pay 15 dollars. So this is what I think they should try to do. Also I have made a little list of places I enjoy fishing some places cost and others don't.

First off Fisherman's Retreat should get a better stocking schedule and have video that they can post on youtube or their website showing the days that are stocked. It would be informative and get people excited to go there and fish. They should also invest in benches and a few more lights around the lakes just to make it a little more welcoming and give some people who get freaked out in dark spaces a feeling of safety. When you call and ask questions have the people be a little more informed on what's been caught and what baits and lures are doing well. I think if they incorporate these small items the place would be awesome again.

Now here is my list of other places I have been to that I recommend feel free to comment and add your own places that you like. I will then try my best to check those places out and also give input.

1. Corona Lakes is an awesome place to go fishing they have a wide variety of fish to catch through out the year. Catfish, Tilapia, and Sturgeon during the summer months and Trout through the fall and winter months. They stock every week and have videos of the stocking. They stock some really nice sized fish along with normal 1 and 2 pounders. It's a little expensive to fish its 30 dollars a person but since you don't need a state fishing license its kind of worth it. Here is a link to the website Corona Lakes.

2. Lake Silverwood is located off Highway 138, 11 miles east of the I-15 or 24 miles northeast of San Bernardino from highways 18 and 138. Fishing is excellent at Silverwood Lake.  Anglers 16 years of age or older must purchase a California Department of Fish & Game fishing license.  
Regular trout plants take place throughout the year by the California Department of Fish and Game.  Other species of fish include Largemouth Bass, Stripper Bass, Crappie, Bluegill and Channel Catfish which bite throughout the year.  You can call the marina for the most recent fish report.  You may also call (562) 594-7268 for pre-recorded trout plant information.


3.Lake Fulmor - is located in Riverside County. It is nestled in the San Jacinto mountains, approx. 15 miles South of the city of Banning, CA. From I-10 at Banning, exit on Eighth street and then head South on Hwy. 243 for 15 miles to the lake. Lake Fulmor is a small lake consisting of 3 surface acres and rests at an elevation of 5,300 feet. It is open year-round from sunrise to sunset. There is a nice picnic area but there are no concessions, bring your own supplies. Parking is available across the highway. A $5 Forest Adventure Pass is required. San Bernardino National Forest - (909) 659-2117 I enjoy this little gem in the mountains, it is very beautiful. As far as I know they don't stock it that often and every once in awhile it is subjected to algae blooms. Even if you don't catch fish, the peace and quiet is nice. All of that makes up for if you don't catch anything. Remember you do need a CA state fishing license here and they do check.
4. Yucaipa Regional Parks - Okay this is a crap shoot for me. I used to go here all the time when I was younger with my buddy Dennis, now not so much. They stock on Thursdays, which is great cause when they stock, you can't fish those lakes. Now the downside is that everybody and their mother show up on Friday to fish and the weekends are just as bad. You will catch fish but if you don't like a town of people around you I would suggest you fish somewhere else. Here is a link for the park. . yucaipa regional parks

5. Jenks Lake -Jenks Lake is located in the beautiful San Bernadino mountains, near the city of Redlands. From I-10 at Redlands exit on Orange St. and go North to Lugonia St. Turn Right on Lugonia, it turns into Mentone and then turns into Hwy 38 into the mountains towards Big Bear. When you pass the town of Angelus Oaks, travel approx. 5.5 miles to Jenks Lake Rd - W. Turn Right and travel 2.3 miles. Turn left at the entrance to the lake.Jenks Lake is a small mountain lake of 10 surface acres. It is open mid March through mid October from sunrise to sunset. There are picnic tables and hiking trails. Parking is $5 per vehicle. (Forest Permit not valid here) There are restrooms but no consessions. Nearest supplies are in Angelus Oaks. There and numerous campgrounds located along Jenks Lake Rd. There is No Smoking allowed anywhere around the lake. Swimming is no longer allowed. Also, this an active bear area. Please use caution and do not disturb the wildlife. For more information, visit the San Gorgonio Wilderness Site or call (909) 794-1123. This lake is stocked with rainbow trout during the Spring and Summer by the DFG. There are also some largemouth bass, bluegill, redear sunfish and catfish here. Be sure to visit their web site for complete regulations before heading out.

6.Big Bear Lake - Big Bear Lake offers one of the top rated fishing locations in all of Southern California. Big Bear fishing reports indicate that for yet another season, freshwater anglers of all types will enjoy the quality trout and bass found in the local waters at Big Bear Lake.
Along with trout and bass, you will also love to find the waters of Big Bear Lake offer an abundant supply of catfish, crappie, blue gill and sunfish. Fishermen of all types will find something to their liking in the pristine waters of the lake.Directions to Big Bear Lake
Well that about sums it up for me, I hope this was informative. Please again feel free to post comments about your fishing stories or where you like fishing as I am always looking for new places. Thank you and remember to Fish On!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment